The Gilbert School is a private secondary school that serves as the public high school for the towns of Winchester and Hartland. The school was founded in 1895 as the result of the bequest of William L. Gilbert. The school opened on September 10, 1895, with Dr. John E. Clark as its principal, a faculty of seven teachers, and a student body of 143 pupils.
Today, The Gilbert School is a six-year, comprehensive, middle and high school, offering a diverse range of challenging academic programs to meet the needs of all its students. Additionally, TGS students continue to enjoy a tradition of extracurricular activities, including music, drama, yearbook, newspaper, and athletics. This preparation provides students with the essential knowledge and skills to be successful in postsecondary study and/or entry into the work world as productive citizens.
Students attending the international program will have: three levels of ESL, ten AP courses, ten Honors courses, over twenty-six clubs and activities, nineteen sports teams, and a local community college.
The Gilbert School is committed to assuring that all of the students are prepared to be thoughtful and productive citizens in a complex, global society.
The school offers a residency program and housing. The housing accommodations offer the male and female students a recently built, two floor Residency Hall that sits on the school's beautiful serene120-acre campus. The Residency Hall is only a short five-minute walk to the front door of the school. In addition, residential Coordinators live in the Residency Hall and provide safety and guardianship while students live on campus. They are carefully screened and are generally members of the Gilbert School staff or faculty. They provide a safe and stable environment in which students study, eat, sleep and spend time with traditional American caretakers and students from other cultures.
The Gilbert School is fully accredited by the Connecticut State Department of Education and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.